What is APN?
APN is a term that refers to Access Point Name and provides the phone with the information necessary to connect it to the Internet. In other words, the APN is the access point of a mobile phone to the Internet and indicates the phone through which virtual path it should connect to the Internet. It also serves as a route for the phone to send and receive multimedia messages (MMS). We have to make sure that there are the proper APN settings to get into the network and in which way we are going to connect.
Depending on how the mobile operator’s network is structured, different configurations are mandatory. The rest can be slightly varied.
In this article, we will dive into how to set up APN on your Android phone.
The Android operating system usually has the APN settings configured by the mobile phone operator
The Android operating system offers a variety of options to its users. Some are only available to advanced users. One of them is to configure the APN. The APN is required to have an Internet connection. It is the information that is used by the phone to connect to the Internet. The APN contains the address that the Android device uses to connect to the internet.
When the Android device is connected to the network, users can surf the internet, send SMS or MMS, and also make calls. Usually, all Android devices have the APN configured by the mobile phone operator.
However, if your Smartphone doesn’t have a valid APN setting, then take out the SIM card and insert it again. In case your Android device is not compatible with the telecom operator’s database, you must set up the APN manually.
Steps for APN configuration on an Android device
These are some of the steps that you should follow to configure the APN manually on your Android device.
- First of all, go to the phone settings.
- In the phone configuration, select the option “Wireless and network”.
- In the Wireless & Networks category, tap the “Mobile Networks” option.
- Scroll down a bit and press the option ‘Access point name or APN’.
- Now, tap on the three-dot menu located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Here, click on the option ‘New APN’. The APN settings are usually included on the SIM card. But if you can’t find out, it’s best to contact your telecom operator. The operator will help you fill in all the fields on the SIM card.
- Once it’s done, click on the ‘Save’ option in the upper right corner of the screen.
This way, you can configure APN settings manually on your Android device.
Mobile device management software
Mobile Device Management (MDM) tools allow IT admins to get a bird’s-eye view of device security policies, network inventory, and application management. They are software applications designed to manage mobile devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops, in a business environment. These solutions enable organizations to improve their productivity, develop a seamless workflow, and improve data security.
Some of the main features of mobile device management applications are:
- Device security capability
- Device location tracking
- Troubleshooting devices
- Access control functions
- Comprehensive support for devices and operating systems.
- Distribution by air (OTA)
- Remote cleaning
As you see, setting up APN settings on a smartphone seems easy, however, it can get tricky sometimes. If you or your clients need help with that and wish to automatize the process, you can count on OPP OTA to help you with that. We offer a complete solution to configure the internet parameters of your customer’s devices. Click here to learn more or contact us.